For tens of decades, man has been making his clothes using garment and needles. Or, you may want to put it that cloth-making is one of the oldest arts if craftsmanship in the history of mankind.
It started in 1790 when an invention changed the way we make clothes. Thomas Saint, an Englishman invented the first sewing machine
Today, looking back at historical transformations of sewing machines paint a picture of many pitfalls that man had to go through in the 18th century to be here today.
In 1830-forty years after Thomas Saint’s prototype, the first functioning sewing machine invented by a French tailor, Barthelemy Thimonnier, saw the light of day, albeit with many modifications.
From Fisher’s, Janome to Singer’s, newbie tailors around the world can now choose from wide-ranging sewing machine models.
What To Look for When Buying A Sewing Machine?
As the world continues to advance technologically, a question many would-be asking is this: What is the best sewing machine for beginners?
Well, in this review, we provide answers to the best of our knowledge. We start by testing different models in the market then recommend the best.
It is because while you may already have a list of sewing machine models, sometimes choosing the best one from among many is not easy. When you think the most expensive one will do a perfect job, it turns out that an averagely priced machine is the most ideal.
Thus, to help you get started with your search, we pose the following questions to you:
- Why do you need a sewing machine?
- Where can you find the best one for the money?
- Are there requisite entry-level skills for beginners or you can start learning to tailor clothes from scratch?
- Which features should I look for in the best sewing machine before adding an item to my shopping cart?
The above questions can go on and on. However, finding the right answers is important going forward. When it comes to upholstery, stitching curtains, and cushions-purposely for home décor, a heavy-duty machine is the best bet on your money any day. For quilting, there are equally wide-ranging sewing machines for the money.
Thus, beginners who want to learn to tailor should premise their search for the best product on such necessities as convenience, flexibility, performance, and durability. Other factors that play significance in making the right decision are:
- Beginners need something basic and not complex.
- If you have an interest in learning how to sew clothes, it should interest you to note that easy-to-use sewing is a top choice.
- Quality is another factor that plays significance if you choose to order one from online retail stores. You don’t want to spend a lot of money and end up with an item whose functionalities and features are subpar.
- Sometimes an all-purpose sewing machine is all a beginner tailor needs to learn and grow.
- Ease of stitching/threading, adaptability to varying tailoring skill levels and availability built-in stitches are things you need to consider before purchasing a beginner sewing machine.
Let’s take a look at some of the above factors in details:
Power and Speed
Machines work on the premise of efficiency, which largely influences output. Thus, every aspiring tailor should put money on a sewing machine that is not only powerful but also that which stitches clothes fast. You can tell how powerful one is by looking at its motor rating on the product package.
In this review, we recommend top sewing machines for beginners and the cost of acquiring one. While the pricing of items is often directly proportional to their quality, there are exceptions.
Manufacturers price their products differently, which means before you settle on a particular sewing machine, we advise that you compare prices across the board then settle on something worth the money.
Technology has been changing the way we do things, and for tailors, there is less footwork nowadays. No more padding your feet on a sewing machine’s presser. Rather, we now have automatic ones, making it possible to concentrate on designs of apparel and not operation.
Moreover, convenience denotes a large working space and if you are looking for something that will make it possible to knit at night, a machine with LED light is worth the money.
You shouldn’t risk putting money on a product that will break down easily. Thus, a question of how durable a tailoring machine comes to the fore. Whether you need one that features a steel or hardwood construction, a durable one will save you lots of money on maintenance and repair.
Number Of Stitches
A tailor’s machine for sewing clothes has different functionalities/capabilities. If you need something that supports more than two straight and zigzag stitches, put money on a product that makes it possible to use decorate ones too.
If you are looking to carrying your machine to sewing classes nearby or groups, it is important to buy something lightweight so that you can carry it with great ease.
Top 6 Best Sewing Machines for The Money:
Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i, 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 Styles of 1-Step Auto-Size Buttonholes, Hard Cover, Wide Table, Auto Needle Threader and LCD Display
At only 13 pounds and working area measuring 16 x 6.7 x 11.4 inches, BROTHER CS6000i with in-built stitches enjoys thousands of positive rating and reviews in online eCommerce platforms. And while it is simple to use, both for quilting and stitching, the fact that it has an automatic needle threading functionality makes it a top choice for beginners.
Brother CS6000i is easy to use, thanks to its LCD that makes it possible to select stitches. It has an exquisite and minimalist design and having won women’s awards choice as a top choice sewing machine this year (2021), we wouldn’t have been more excited to recommend it too.
There is a diagram on the machine showing where to put threads, thanks to its easy and super bobbin winding functionality.
If you are looking for more reasons to choose this product, the following are worth noting:
- It features a wide working space (table), which is also bright. Thusly; Brother CS6000i is ideal for large stitching and quilting projects even when working on dark clothes.
- Brother CS6000i has an adjustable sewing speed, with a maximum rating achieving 850 stitches per minute.
- It is a machine that makes it possible to sew sleeves of clothes hassle-free, pants and legs, thanks to a built-in arm. You can always refer to the user manual on how to do it.
- You won’t spend a lot of money on this product because it is one of the most affordable in the market despite high-end features.
- Brother CS6000i is a computerized tailoring accessory, thanks to an LCD that makes it possible to select stitches you want to use. (Read full Brother CS6000i Reviews here)
SINGER|7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine with 76 Decorative Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader and Bonus Accessories, Easy-to-use and Packed with Feather
SINGER tailoring machines also equally popular thanks to their top-of-the-range features. A case in point is SINGER 7258, a 100-stitch sewing electronic tailoring accessory with computerized functionalities. A programmable needle, for example, means you select a stitch at the push of a button. SINGER 7258 has an LED light bulb and packs other amazing features such as:
- SINGER 7258 runs on power input of 120 volts, 0.62 amps, and 74 watts.
- Tailors who put their money on this product enjoy an incredibly long warranty of up to 25 years.
- It has a sewing speed of 60 Hertz.
- If you are buying SINGER 7258 for use in Canada or U.S.A, the recommended voltage is 110.
- It weighs 14.6 pounds, and a sewing area of 14.5 x 7.5 x 12 inches makes it worthwhile for large stitching projects.
If you are looking for something that will advance your stitching skills so that you can start crafting top quality and fashionable clothes and apparel for home décor, SINGER 7258 has a programmable top-drop-in bobbin that makes threading breezy. An LED bulb that illuminates workspace lasts up to 100, 000 hours and doesn’t heat up.
Moreover, with its 1-step buttonholes numbering six, there has never been a better way to stitch like a pro. (Read Singer 7258 review here)
SINGER|Heavy-Duty 4411 Sewing, Machine with 11 Built-In Stitches, Metal Frame and Stainless Steel, Bedplate, Great for Sewing All Fabrics.
Heavy-duty tailoring machines are ideal for tough jobs. For a beginner, they are a perfect choice if you want to learn quilting on the go. We wanted to make sure you have the best option for the money, thus, after looking around, SINGER 4411 didn’t disappoint in many aspects. From the go, 6 basic stitches, 1-built-in buttonhole, 11-built-in stitches, and 4 decorative stitches fit the bill for craftsmanship.
Like SINGER 7258, those who use this machine within U.S and Canadian borders should connect it to a power source with a rating of 110 volts. However, at 120 volts outside the above regions, you can still use to sew different types of fabrics. It means SINGER 4411 is a workhorse like no other.
With its most talked about features, here is a machine that also has a mobile application, serving as usage assistant. Beginners can ask questions and learn from wide-ranging tutorials using an App downloadable from the Apple and Google Play store. You can also check out SINGER 4411 YouTube Videos and interact with support on the go via social media.
There are more reasons why we made it part of this review, and they include:
- With an adjustable foot presser control, you won’t go wrong sewing both lightweight and heavyweight fabrics with this heavy-duty machine.
- It is durable, thanks to stainless steel making up the bedplate and a metal frame for its interior construction.
- You get more power and speed with SINGER 4411.
- It has an adjustable needle positioning, making it one of the most versatile tailoring equipment you can ever find in the market.
- A drop-in bobbin makes threading easy when using SINGER 4411 and being able to stitch in reverse is an added advantage.
BROTHER Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Sewing Machine with 27 Stitches
There is no doubt that BROTHER is a leader in manufacturing tailoring accessories. Also, going by our review of the best six sewing machines, the company’s product rakes in a large percentage. BROTHER XM2017 is not only one of the cheapest in this review but also packs up versatile features for an aspiring tailor. They include:
- It has 27 built-in stitches, hence fits into experience of an entry-level tailor.
- Sewing feet with 6-change functionality comprising a zipper, zigzag, buttonhole, blind stitch, narrow hemmer and button sewing is all you need to start sewing clothes like a professional or pastime.
- It features an LED, making it possible to work in dark areas, that is not to mention that its jam-resistant bobbin (drop-in-top) saves you lots of time.
- With up to 25 years of manufacturer product warranty, a user manual (bi-lingual), free support on technical issues and DVD tutorial, we thought spending a few bucks on BROTHER XM2017, yet you get more is a good deal for your money.
- BROTHER XM2017 measures 12 x 5.9 x 15.3 and weighs 15.9 pounds.
SINGER|Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine with 32 Built-in Stitches, Automatic Needle Threader, Metal Frame and Stainless Steel Bedplate for all types of fabric with Ease
With the best sewing machine such as SINGER 4432, which is heavy-duty, it is possible to stitch different types of clothing materials. For a beginner, you need more than an affordable product. You need something that is durable and features impeccable functionalities.
When you put money on SINGER 4432, you have a reason to embark on a journey of sewing, either as a professional or hobby. But whatever the case, its features such as the following are worth noting:
- You can do reverse stitching with SINGER 4432.
- Buyers enjoy a 90-day warranty on adjustable components such as rings, belts, bulbs plus another 2-year warranty for wiring, switches, motors, speed controls, and other electronic parts. There is a further 25-year manufacturer warranty for the sewing head.
- Putting money on this item means you will take home, a machine with lots of accessories such as bobbins, needles, user manual for quilting, seam ripper, brush, buttonhole foot, zipper foot and among others.
- Weighing only 17.5 pounds and with a workspace measuring 15.2 x 6.2 x 12 inches, you won’t go wrong with SINGER’s 4432 series.
BROTHER Computerized Sewing Machine, XR9550PRW, Project Runway Limited Edition, 110-Built-in Utility LCD Screen, Hard Case
Computerization of sewing machines is the new trend, and it makes it easy for beginners to scale their learning curve fast. Now with 19.8 pound XR9550PRW, a tailor’s machine from BROTHER, you have more control on the go. It features a clear LCD screen and a large working space (7 x 16.3 x 12.5), all of which make stitching easy to a beginner.
A 110 built-in stitch utility which comprises heirloom and decorative stitches makes it an outstanding product for the money.
Enjoy automatic threading with BROTHER XR9550PRW, not mention its one-step 8-styled buttonholes. There are more reasons why we recommend it, and they include:
- It is an affordable machine, yet highly effective.
- With up to 165 stitches in the shipping package, BROTHER XR9550PRW will bring out the star in you.
- Computerized sewing experience is the best thing that can happen to a tailor in this age and time. It is when you get when you put money on this product.
- Automatic needle threading at the touch of a lever gives you an experience like no other when using BROTHER XR9550PRW.
Where To Find The Best Sewing Machines?
Learning how to tailor clothes and embroider apparel isn’t going to be easy without a sewing machine. However, it is sometimes difficult finding the best one for the money if not for a dependable, reliable and professional review like this one elliotthomestead.com. You need an automatic one, instead of the manual.
Moreover, given that most entry-level tailoring machines often support multiple stitches, sometimes up to 100, you don’t want to end up with overkill. Anything that will improve your learning curve exponentially is worth the money. Now, with the above in mind, finding the best one with autopilot features means you do the following:
- Get the best tips and guidelines elliotthomestead.com or any other top product reviewer. It will help you learn about sewing machines firsthand-especially their vital features and functionalities.
- Check out online retail stores near you with the help of Google Maps and web search phrases/keywords.
- Ask a friend with whom you attend the same tailoring/knitting/stitching classes.
- A tailoring enthusiast should provide you with much-need guidance on where to find the best machines for the money.
Sewing Machine For Sale Near me
Now that we are all in agreement that you don’t have to be a professional to start tailoring clothes using modern and automatic machines, elliotthomestead.com also wishes to answer questions you might be having. Take a look.
Q: How Much Will I Spend On A Typical Beginner Sewing Machine?
A: With so many of these products to choose from in the market, you won’t spend a lot of money buying a sewing machine. Most, especially those which befit beginners are low-cost if not affordable. You can find one that costs less than $200. But if you need to spend more than $500, there are plenty of them.
Q: Why Should You Trust Sewing Machine Review Elliotthomestead?
A: We have the best, professionally qualified, experienced and product review enthusiast that burn the midnight oil, doing the difficult work for you. In the end, we always endeavor to publish impeccable, top quality, useful and simplified product buying guides you won’t find anywhere else.
Q: Are There Popular Tailoring Machine Brands?
A: Over the years, many players in the manufacturing sector have sought to make a strong statement in producing top-quality tailoring products. They include sewing machines, which happen to be the centerpiece of this review.
After testing several them for this review, we believe Brother and Singer Series are the most popular among tailors.
They enjoy good buyer ratings and positive reviews. However, you are free to test other products such as Janome and see if they fit into your stitching needs.
Q: Are There Benefits That Come With Using Sewing Machines?
A: Machines generally make work easier than going manual. If you are aspiring to be a professional tailor, then sewing equipment is all you need to get started. It comes with many benefits such as:
- You will save a lot of time stitching clothes using tailoring equipment.
- It harnesses your creativity in embroidery and upholstery.
- If stitching clothes is something you consider a pastime, then choosing from a machine from our top recommendations will add thrill to it.
Q: Are There Challenges I Need To Know Before Getting Started With Stitching?
A: Well, if you are tailoring beginner, thread tension and type of needles are things about which you should be conversant. Thus, do your homework well so that you don’t end up jamming your machine due to low thread tension.
High tension puts threads at risk of breaking, and you will not want to spend a lot of time or time disassembling your sewing device to remove threads stuck inside it.
Without the right information, usually product reviews and buying guides, finding a top-quality stitching machine for the money is often a big challenge. You could spend weeks on end yet end up with nothing closer to returning value for your money.
However, having read this far, we believe you’ve finally landed on a place that never disappoints when it comes to buying products online.
If you’ve found that eco-friendly, top quality and beginner-friendly machine to help you embark on a successful tailoring journey, elliotthomestead.com would like to hear from you.
Please share your views, ideas, opinions, and suggestions in the comment section below. We will also appreciate you for letting your friends know about this post, so feel free to share it across social media.